Advanced cross-platform smartphone development
On this course you will learn how to use PhoneGap and jQuery Mobile, two open source development frameworks, to create platform-neutral smartphone apps. Get the tools and experience you need to build app store ready mobile applications for iPhone, Android, Blackberry and more.
The PhoneGap platform makes it easy to build true native device applications (NOT mobile web apps) which work with synchronized local data and take advantage of device capabilities such as GPS, PIM contacts and calendar, camera, native mapping, push, barcode, signature capture, Bluetooth and more.
The course is fully hands-on and, by the end of the course, you will have published your own fully working app in the Android Marketplace. Of course, you will also know how to compile and deploy the very same code for Apple, Blackberry, WebOS, Symbian and Window Phones.
There are literally thousands of PhoneGap apps already available to download. If you don’t believe us just download one of the featured apps to your phone and see for yourself.
PhoneGap and jQuery Mobile is the fastest, most effective way to add smartphone apps to your portfolio, regardless of whether you are building corporate apps, consumer apps or a companion app for your website.
Visit the shop
Today you will learn about the different mobile phone platforms and begin to look at the tools you will use to build cross-platform apps.
- Mobile phone overview (past, present and future)
- Native language development (Objective-C/iPhone, Java/Android, Java/Blackberry, .NET/Windows Mobile)
- Introducing HTML5
- Introducing PhoneGap
- Introducing jQuery Mobile
- Introducing XUI
- Introducing Sencha Touch
- Tools you will need to develop for iPhone, Blackberry, Android, Windows Phone, HP/Palm
- Introduction to Eclipse
- Your first app “Hello World”
- Phonegap Build
- Running your app in the Android emulator
- Running your app in the Blackberry emulator
- Introducing the Symbian, WebOS and Windows Phone 7 emulators
Today you will learn everything you need to build and test a basic, cross platform, mobile phone app.
- Introduction to XCode
- Running your app in the iPhone/iPad emulator
- Structuring your project to target multiple platforms
- Source control with SVN
- Debugging your app
- Accessing local storage
- Building advanced GUIs with jQuery Mobile
- Connecting to web services
Today you are ready to take your mobile app to the next level.
- Google Maps
- Adverts (via AdMob)
- Extending PhoneGap with plug-ins
- Push Notifications with Urban Airship
- Mix and match native controls
Today you will learn how to deliver your app to your users.
- “Side loading” an app
- What you need to publish an app
- How to sign your app
- Step-by-step: How to register and publish your app in the Android Marketplace
- Overview: registering and publishing your app in the Blackberry App World, Ovi Store and Windows 7 Marketplace
- Step-by-step: How to register and publish your app in the Apple App Store
- Alternative ways to get your app to users (Amazon, GetJar)
This course is suitable for project managers and developers.
If you have a smartphone you can bring it along and we will show you how to connect (don't forget the cables) and deploy your app (but don't panic if you don't as as we will use an emulator to run the sample code).
Our training courses are affordable and convienient. Contact us to discuss your requirements and book a course.
Alternatively, the course notes and presentation are available to download immediately from the Hoxton Sax Shop.